From:
"Meredith L. Dunham" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2007 11:12:29 -0500
Another resource would be if you know of any museum professionals who have experienced a disaster relatively recently.  They could probably give you all sorts of tips on what to keep in mind.

The Heritage Foundation in Norfolk, VA suffered a hurricane and a fire in the past 5 years and has held a workshop on recovery and had tips for dealing with FEMA.  They're phone is 757.423.2052.

The Isle of Wight County Museum is still going through recovery after a major flood of their museum and they might be able to offer tips as well.  They're phone is 757.357.7459.

You could also talk to the staff at Virginia House in Richmond, VA.  They have suffered a couple of floods and have a lot of good advice to share.  I don't have their phone number though.

I know working with them has given me a lot of ideas about recovery efforts, things that are so mundane, I would never have thought to put information for it in the plan.  There are also a few bits of advice gathered from those who have been in the trenches that dplan.org misses although that resource is about as comprehensive as you could possibly get without actually going through a disaster.  We are working on our disaster plan through that site as well and I am very impressed.

Meredith

Virginia Beach Historic Houses
3131 Virginia Beach Blvd.
Virginia Beach, VA 23452