From:
Rebecca Fitzgerald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Oct 2006 13:14:32 -0400
I am the original poster.

The entire incident screamed "unprofessionalism." I manage a historic site,
and require anyone who interacts with our visitors (customers) to dress
neatly and professionally. We do not insist on a uniform, but rely on our
employees, interns and volunteers to be mature enough to choose their own
clothing. (Guidelines spell out what is in appropriate - underwear showing,
distracting clothing or accessories, bare midriffs or cleavage, etc.)
I also insist on professional behavior - no gum smacking, no indifference to
our visitors.

I appreciate the angst over my posting but I stand by it. I, too, dressed in
the outrageous styles during my teen years, but only on my time. I held a
part-time job throughout high school and college, and dressed appropriately
for those businesses during working hours.

Remember, I am the customer in this story. The work was botched, the service
atrocious. My perception (as a customer) is the store's reality. You don't
have to agree with my views, or even respect them for that matter. However,
a business owner will pay attention to them because I choose where to spend
my money. In this case, I took not only the one graphics job, but all future
work away from that business. The two customers behind me also took their
business away.

I like the analogy of restaurants. There are all kinds of restaurants, and
people choose among them based on many factors other than food quality.
Service, décor, atmosphere, clientele, etc. are also criteria by which
people choose restaurants. In the same way, I have several options for
printing/graphics services: Kinko's with the aforementioned employee,
Staples, a locally owned full service printer, or even Walmart, etc. Now
obviously I can eliminate some of the businesses based on the services they
can provide. Another business is difficult to use because of the hassle in
dealing with them. So, I'm left with a locally owned print shop where I'm
greeted by name by folks who act and dress professionally, and the service
is impeccable but not usually very fast.

Oh yes, I also deal with some online printers for rack cards, etc. - and
I'll bet they employ folks who dress VERY casually - perhaps
unprofessionally. They may wear all black or every nothing at all. But I
don't have to look at them! But...the photo of their staff on the website is
of a smartly uniformed staff in khakis and polo shirts. I wonder why? :-)

As the country song says, "That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

Now folks, we've beaten this dead horse enough. Let's move on!

Becky Fitzgerald