From:
William Morgan Greaves <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 May 2011 13:13:04 -0400
Just a cute story on music to make sure you know your audience

My wife has been a preschool teacher for 26 years. Several months ago for
show and tell on music a little boy in her class asked her a question about
music. He said that his parents talk allot about the Beatles and because he
is not allowed to touch his dad’s music collection could she bring in the
Beatles so they could hear them. It took a few days to find a portable
record player to play 33 RPM albums but I found one for my wife.

When she took the album and player to school and said to her class of 3&4
year olds that we are going to hear the Beatles today the boy really got
excited. When she took out the old 33 RPM album the little boy looked at it
and said:

“Mr. Greaves, That is the biggest CD I have ever seen before in my life.

Moral: Make sure the audience knows what a record is.

BG

William M. Greaves, President
Architects iN Design
www.architectsindesign.com
757-496-6489 office
757-478-6489 cell.

REPLY: Activities using primary source materials

I just  finished an exhibition at the Morris Museum, Jersey Rocks: A
History of Rock & Roll in the Garden State, where we included a collage on
the wall of 33rpm album covers from NJ artists from a variety of time
periods (50s - 1990s) and have an activity table where kids can design
their own album cover.  If you want more info on it, let me know and I can
try to get a few pictures of it for you.  Kids  seem attracted to it, I
think because of the colors and the chance to draw  Note that we had to
change the wording - we had originally written "Design your own album
jacket" since that's what they are called, but kids started to draw little
coats in the square box we provided on the sheet, despite the directions
and the visuals.  (Boy did that make me feel OLD.)

Claudia
Claudia Ocello
President & CEO, Museum Partners Consulting, LLC
www.museumpartnersconsulting.com