From:
Danielle Stuckle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Dec 2004 14:00:39 -0800
As someone who is in the middle of a big job hunt myself, I'd like to offer my perspective.  Two things are going on here: first people are making a shot in the dark, hoping it might turn into something significant; and second, many recent grads truly do not understand the realities of the job market.

I have myself applied to jobs that I did not expect to be seriously considered for, yet there is always a chance that you will appeal to the hiring agency or at least make your interest known.  I know a number of people who have said they submitted a resume to an organization and the application was obviously kept on file as some time later (in one case the time lapse was two years) the organization did contact them when an opening came up.  Besides, many organizations can't hire additional permanent staff, but can and do offer temporary positions based on grant funding availability.  The idea is that you just never know what might turn up if you get the word out that you are interested.

Many students that I have encountered (I'm speaking primarily of undergrads in public history programs) are under the impression that they will be seriously considered for curator positions with nothing more than a bachelor's degree and one or two internships.  It isn't until they receive those first few rejection letters that reality sets in.

Even in the museum field, it is common to apply to a job and never get a response to an application.  Some organizations simply send cursory and insensitive rejection e-mails--if anything at all.  Some organizations have taken what I considered a very sensitive (and probably time consuming) approach to thoughtfully acknowledge the applicant.  I have received rejection letters that were so well written, that they actually made me feel good--not an easy feat!  These letters have made a point of specifying the number of applicants who applied to the position, sometimes how many were actually interviewed, and what the key deciding factors were.  This type of rejection letter gives the applicant a sense of how far off base they might be in their job search and how well they compare to other applicants.

Even a well written and precise job application will generate inappropriate applications--people can always hope they'll get lucky.  If you are not even soliciting applications to begin with, the applicant probably won't be surprised if you do not have any openings.  For all of you out there who take the time to send even a brief explanation to unsuccessful job applicants, I would like to thank you for your sensitivity and thoughtfulness.  Many of us appreciate the feedback, which in turn aids us in our job search.

Danielle Stuckle
Job Seaker and Graduate Student
North Dakota State University
Fargo, North Dakota