From:
Mario Rups <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Nov 1994 17:29:00 -0400
>information regarding Cummings or of other author/artists would be greatly
>appreciated.
>Please send by November 30.
>
>           -Margaret LaRaia
> (a slightly desperate graduate student)

Not a Great Poet, perhaps -- but there's always Edward Lear (1812-1888).
("The Owl and the Pussycat went to sea / In a beautiful pea-green boat ..."
Although he's better known for his limericks.)  He started out painting
animals (his book on Psittacidae was the first book of colour illustrations
of parrots published in England, I seem to recall), but as his eyesight
failed (tiny close-up details were the problem, I think) he turned to
landscape painting.  In 1842 (I believe) he gave drawing lessons to Queen
Victoria.  Much of his later life was spent travelling, although he was in
poor health; he died in Italy.

He did some lovely water colours in Greece, some of which I had the
pleasure of seeing while in Athens about a decade ago.

Mario Rups