From:
"Ginger M. Young" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Apr 1999 07:38:58 EDT
Adrienne,

I just entered the work force in January after receiving my Masters in Museum
Science.  I began looking for a job in May though.  I used numerous resources
when I was applying for jobs and through those resources basically could see
that for someone like me (fresh out of Graduate school, despite my experience
in museums since 1993 and my education -- I have a BA in Anthropology with a
minor in museum studies and then my MA in Museum Science) that I would
probably make from $20,000 - $25,000 / year + some sort of benefit(s).  There
are always exceptions though.

The key issue to keep in mind is -- Would I be happy at this type of job?
Most of us in the museum field are well aware of our low salaries (although
most of us wish we could change them!) but we enjoy what we are doing and
therefore stick with it, despite the financial hardships that often accompany
the job.  So, if you think or know you would enjoy this type of job - it may
be worth it for you to go for it!  Sometimes the benefits help make up for
the low salaries and / or there are chances for advancement (i.e., a raise!).

Just my two cents and something to keep in mind!

Good luck!

Sincerely,
  Ginger M. Young, Registrar