From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 19:31:33 -0700
--- Merri Pemberton <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>  Career counselors don't always help.

This is an interesting point. Unless a career counselor knows about the museum
industry, they aren't much help. I took my resume to one and she said that I
was trying to cover too many skills and should focus on what the job
announcements say. Then I showed her a museum education job announcement and
she was floored.

I'm a little disappointed that Indy's mentoring program fizzled. That to me is
one of the best ways of finding out about the museum world. And I think we also
need people from related industries who can help new museum grads get
experience they need to compete for the museum jobs. (We all have to pay back
student loans. :) Time and time again, I've seen "real world" experience beat
out people with higher degrees and less experience. There's a lot of "real
world" experience out there to be had that I think people are missing out on
because they immediately go for the museum jobs and will take anything that
they can get. To me, it's better to get any work experience for a few years,
volunteer or work part-time in the museum world and then move into a
higher-level museum position. But each to his own and I'm starting to ramble.

Deb