From:
Noriko Gamblin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Apr 2005 18:56:47 -0400
We (the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County) are developing a new,
1,500 sq. ft. enclosed space located just beyond the exit from our temporary
exhibition galleries where visitors of all ages, single or in groups (including school
groups), will be able to record and share their opinions and responses following a
visit to the feature exhibition. Broadly speaking, this room is conceived to encourage,
record, and test visitor responses. We anticipate that this room will have furniture
(tables and seating) where people will be provided with cards and pencils to write
out their reactions to the show, or simply record their thoughts or personal responses
to the themes it explores. Visitors will be invited to deposit the cards in an enclosed
box, with the prospect that some will be selected later for posting on a public board.
Other 'spaces' in this room will allow groups (particularly school groups that have
booked in advance) to gather for discussion after their visit and, at designated times,
participate in artist- or poet-run workshops, and perform short plays or theatrical
readings. All of these activities will be tied to the themes presented in the exhibition.
As well, through our contacts with the school community, we hope to have projects
relating to the exhibition displayed in a lighted, wall-mounted case or on shelves. No
doubt the possibilities will exceed the available space!

I have three questions:

1) Does anyone know of any rooms like this in museums?

2) Does anyone have suggestions for encouraging visitor response to exhibitions in
such facilities?

3) Does anyone have any suggestions about how we can avoid problems that might
be associated with facilities like this, e.g. sound?