From:
Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 2000 07:59:34 -0800
Hi Bethany and everybody,

As has been pointed out, freezing your film is a good way of stopping further deterioration (or at least slowing it down).  There are right ways and wrong ways to do this, I think, so get a little more information first.

The comment about vinegar syndrome applying to acetate not nitrate film is correct - deteriorating nitrate film is described as having a smell like rotten meat or sweat socks...although I cannot say it ever struck me that way.

Someone also pointed out that nitrate film is dangerous because it presents a fire hazard.  This is absolutely true - at somewhere around 104-106 degrees Farenheit the film can easily combust (not quite spontaneously, but with minimal energy).  If you had any volume of this
material, there are NFPA guidelines for building special fire-proof vaults to contain it.  Also, I think the Library of Congress may have facilities to store nitrate film originals in some situations (if you don't plan on maintaining freezer storage).

Finally, as nitrate film breaks down, the component chemicals recombine with water in the air to form highly acidic compounds - so things stored next to your films are at risk to damage from this source.

Best wishes,
Tim

http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Towers/8189