From:
JHANDLEY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jul 1998 12:46:00 -0800
In response:

Granted, but the fact of the matter is that a museum is not a "business" in
the traditional sense of the word, so traditional business practices don't
always apply.

     Which practices don't apply? Long range planning? A general business
     plan? Cash flow charting? Financial analysis? I think all of these
     certainly apply to "museum business."

     If museums aren't traditional businesses, than what are they? At last
     look, the museums I know of run like traditional businesses--they have
     expenses: rent, utilities, salaries, payroll taxes, office supplies,
     insurance expense, etc. And these are offset by revenues raised
     through admissions, gift shop sales, membership dues, special events,
     grants, corporate sponsorship, etc. Businsess is business. Museums are
     traditional businesses, just not product based/sales driven
     businesses.

Many museums have found that when one puts fiscal responsibility above
responsibility to the audience and the collections, the result can be lost
staff and closed galleries.  We should not try to swat flies with
sledgehammers, but try to find a balance (as another museum-Ler has
suggested) between good museums and good businesses.

     True, however, as public trusts, fiscal responsibility is public
     responsibility--the two are not separate issues.

     I am still mystified as to why the AAM will accredit a museum based
     soley on its programs and collections care, and completely disregard
     how that institution treats its employees. We are told by the AAM (and
     I believe that this is true) that museums must be sensitive to the
     needs of people and the local community it serves. Still, many museums
     justify paying below subsistance wages and no benefits as serving the
     community--this simply is not the case because employees of a museum
     are part of its community, too.

     I applaud those of you who believe that change can come about.  True,
     it will take time, but it is in the best interest of all who have
     chosen this career path to continue to dialog about this issue and
     also to look at ways to problem solve. Many of the ideas expressed in
     this ongoing dialog have been really good, sound ideas.

     I would be most interested in hearing from AAM as to just why they are
     silent on this issue? Perhaps an AAM forum/session could help
     facilitate problem solving and idea sharing on this ongoing concern?

     John Handley
     San Francisco

American Academy of Ophthalmology
http://www.eyenet.org