From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Aug 2005 13:02:22 -0700
Before this list, except for possibly the Smithsonian,
I never fathomed that a museum could have more
artifacts than it could possibly keep on exhibit.  I
just sort of assumed that anything it had was
permanently displayed.  Consider me part of the naive
public in that regard, if you like, but perhaps learn
from that mindset.

So Pam's note got me to thinking.  Someone makes a
gift to a museum and, beyond the tax deduction,
expects that perhaps the grateful public will adore
them for their generosity.  They presume it will be on
display in a prominent place for the world to see, and
if, for space considerations or other constraints, it
is sent to the archives until the time is right to
show it, if ever, they are terribly disappointed if
not angry.

Worse still, the generous soul wants his/her immediate
relatives/friends to recognize the generosity the
person has shown.  This becomes even more important in
some cultural groups than others.  Imagine their
chagrin when they show up, and it is nowhere to be
found, stuck "in the closet" so to speak, and they
think they could have done better by it.

This, to me, presents an opportunity to engage the
public at hand and get them to your website, where
perhaps a cash donation or membership button is close
at hand.

Have any of you considered creating a "what would you
like to see next" contest or voting buttons on your
website encouraging the public to become actively
involved in what gets displayed at your institution?
I would think that five or six possible themes (with a
few artifacts or artworks peppered in) and an Other
button with room to describe what that might be could
instill in the public a sense of participation.  Of
course the institution would be careful as to what it
offers as options, but this kind of thing might spur
interest in your museum and make folks think they have
some sort of ownership.

Further, a person who has something not currently
displayed might rally his/her friends/relatives to
vote, sparking further interest.

Finally, if any of you have copies of Deeds of Gifts
in electronic version, why not post them on the
MuseDocs list (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/musedocs)
so that others can use them as a place to start and
don't completely have to reinvent the wheel.

--- Pamela Elbe <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> The reason I ask is that in the past few months I
> have been contacted by
> various donor who have wanted to borrow an item they
> donated or wanted
> their materials back for some reason (give to the
> grandkids, were upset
> they hadn't seen the materials exhibited, etc.) or
> told someone writing
> a book that they could publish photographs that had
> been donated to us
> (all had signed a deed stating that they
> "irrevocably and
> unconditionally give, transfer, and assign to the
> National Museum of
> American Jewish Military History, by way of gift,
> all right, title, and
> interests (including all copyright, trademark and
> related interests*).")
> Maybe if we included some sort of informational
> sheet with the deed
> these sort of issues would crop up less often
> (wishful thinking, I
> know).
>
> Any examples/ideas?
>
> Thanks in advance!