From:
Barry Szczesny <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Dec 1998 17:42:02 -0500
Robin,

The short answer is no.  What I have is anecdotal information and a
sample photographer agreement that was included in the sourcebook for
last year's American Law Institute-American Bar Association, Legal
Problems of Museum Administration.  The sourcebook, which includes lots
of other legal-type goodies for museums, can be obtained from ALI-ABA
(1-800-CLE-NEWS or www.ali-aba.org) for $80.  As an aside, this year's
meeting will be March 11-13 in Seattle, WA.  Tuition for the program is
$585.

Nevertheless, there is an obvious and increasing need within the museum
community for such resources.  That's why AAM along with the J. Paul
Getty Trust currently is working on "Intellectual Property: A Primer for
the Field."  Made possible by a generous grant from the Pew Charitable
Trusts, this publication, with a target date of August 1999, will be
distributed to all of the approximately 8,200 museums in the Official
Museum Directory for FREE.  There also will be a Web version.  For more
information on this project visit AAM's Website at www.aam-us.org.  Note
that the College Art Association is working on a similar project.

In the meantime, following are a few copyright resources currently
available:

-  An excellent museum-specific discussion of copyright issues is
contained in "A Legal Primer on Managing Museum Collections" (2 Ed.
1998, by Marie Malaro).  The copyright portion was authored by Ildiko
DeAngelis former Assistant General Counsel at the Smithsonian
Institution and the current head of the museum studies program at the
George Washington University in Washington, DC.  The roughly 500 pp.
book is available for $25 member/$27.50 nonmember (a steal) through
AAM's bookstore 202/289-9127.

-  There are three excellent articles on "fair use" posted on the AAM
Website (www.aam-us.org) under "hot topics."

-  AAM offers a professional education course entitled "Current Issues
in Intellectual Property Seminar," which has received rave reviews.  The
most recent one was just held Dec. 3-5 in San Francisco, CA.  AAM likely
will offer this seminar again next year.

-  Several other copyright resources/Websites and gateways to further
information:

Copyright Crash Course, University of Texas
http://www.utsystem.edu/ogc/intellectualproperty/cprtindx.htm
    Museum specific, written for AAM's Intellectual Property Seminar
last year:
http://www.utsystem.edu/ogc/intellectualproperty/museum.htm#specific

National Initiative for a Networked Cultural Heritage (NINCH)
http://www-ninch.cni.org/

U.S. Copyright Office
http://lcweb.loc.gov/copyright/

U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
http://www.uspto.gov/
   Final Conference on Fair Use Report (CONFU) with selected
bibliography and resources:
http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/dcom/olia/confu/index.html

Copyright & Fair Use, Stanford University Libraries
http://fairuse.stanford.edu/

COPYRIGHT MANAGEMENT CENTER on the Campus of Indiana University-Purdue
University Indianapolis, http://www.iupui.edu/it/copyinfo/

"Copyright & Fair Use, The Great Image Debate,"  Visual Resources:  An
International Journal of Documentation.  Vol. 12, Nos. 3-4, 1997.
http://oregon.uoregon.edu/~csundt/vrcfu.htm

Barry G. Szczesny
AAM Government and Public Affairs
(Not an official AAM communication)