From:
Julie Holcomb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Mar 2002 11:25:44 -0600
Hi all,
Our institution is in the early stages of building a museum and archives
facility on our campus.  The museum will feature two major exhibit
spaces: a Civil War museum and a Western art gallery; the archives will
include a reading room as well as staff space and storage space.  We
have hired an architect, museum designers, etc.  I'm hoping some of you
can help me with a couple of questions I have related to planning for
the future.

1. We're in the process of writing a business plan for the museum and
archives program.  Would any of you be willing to share your business
plans, or at the very least give me some guidance about what should be
included, etc?

2. We're also trying to work out staffing issues.  I'm interested in the
organizational structure of other museums, especially those that are
part of a larger organization.  We are part of a community college and
will have two distinct areas - the archives and the museum.  One of the
issues under discussion is do we have one "director" to manage both
areas or do we have two "directors," one for each area.  All of these
positions would report to either a dean or an executive vice-president.
Currently, I report to the dean of the library and there is
adminstrative support to leave the archives under the library umbrella.
The museum seems to be the biggest question.  So if any of you would be
interested in sharing your organizational structures, I would be most
appreciative.

Thanks in advance.

Julie Holcomb
--
Julie Holcomb, MLIS, CA
College and Special Collections Archivist

Navarro College
3200 W. 7th Ave.
Corsicana, Texas 75110

Internet: [log in to unmask]