From:
Robbin Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Apr 1994 14:49:25 -0400
Anita Cohen-Williams wrote:

>The inherent problem with electronic publishing is access. How can we make
>sure that the consumer has access to our material? Our library has apparently
>subscribed to several electronic journals, a move I find ridiculous since our
>patrons have no way to access those items.

Every student at NYU has access to the internet via their e-mail account.
Unfortunately there are 50,000 students here and things get a bit crowded
>From 10 to 12 at night. But things are being worked out and eventually
a model for universal access may develop. Why don't you print the e-journals
out?

>    Libraries are currently experimenting with ways of hooking their online
>catalogs into the Internet, but this will take a great deal of time and money
>(which of course we don't have).

I'm working with a group developing an electonic bboard here in NY called
ArtNet that is one possibility for that kind of access by the public. There
is an access provider here called Pipeline that has a great GUI and lots
of potential.

I'm also aware that everybody doesn't have access to a computer but most people
have a phone line and that's really what's important for the future.

>    BTW, Robbin, I was an editorial assistant at the magazine AMERICAN
>WEST (now since deceased).

No wonder you're so smart. :-}