From:
Susanne Lambert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 10:27:28 -0700
Hank,
The Nora Eccles Harrison Museum of Art is a university facility housing
a mostly modernist collection in all media.  We are a busy museum host
to travelling shows and loans to national and international sites.
Our latest exhibition in our 'travelling show' gallery is in fact a
faculty show. All 17 faculty are represented.

This was a hard won feat for the faculty who feel it is their right to
be exhibited under our roof. Our former Director did not promote faculty
shows and felt they were best once every 5 years or so, mostly on
account of the faculties hectic teaching schedules, the pressure to
create new works and the myriad of individual concerns over each one's
presentation etc.

Having just completed the process of coordinating the various
individuals, I tend to agree that the undertaking is out of our normal
endeavor.  We established early on that we, the Museum, would retain
curatorial decisions and provided firm deadlines for submission of works
etc.  Still, there were those who bought work (sight unseen by us) the
day before the show.  This caused unecessary scurrying to paint
pedastals and create labels in the last minute.

The shoe looks nice and is well received. But, I would not recommend
repeating it soon.  Rather, I think there was a better showing of
faculty art in one man shows.  This provides an immersion and wider
scope, especially when the artist has been concentrating on a body of
work.

It is important for a university museum to support its sister
departments
but I would use caution and develop clear and firm ground rules.
The show itself seems to have taken a secondary position to the very
beautiful, (read: expensive) catalogue.  Of course this is an important
tool and record for them.

I hope my detailed, and hopfully not too long winded comments assist
you!

Kind regards,

Susanne Lambert
Collections Manager