From:
Bernard Barryte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jul 1997 15:07:07 -0700
I am sending this for Patience Young, our curator of education.  Please
respond to her directly at:  <[log in to unmask]>

The residential district of our campus includes Frank Lloyd Wright's Hanna
House, which was donated to the university by its original owners (Prof.
Paul Hanna and family) in the mid-1970s and was toured by our museum
docents prior to the 1989 earthquake.  Now under restoration, the house
will again be open for tours and university-sponsored conferences in the
next year or so.  We (did and will) provide, train and schedule tour
docents, but the house itself is not under our museum's umbrella.

We are considering how best to organize and process advance
reservations/ticket sales (for groups and individuals) for the regular
times when tours will be available.  In the past, tours were free and
reservations were taken over the phone by our tour coordinator.  With the
new factor of fees, reservations will be more complicated.

In the past, the scheduler gained visitors' profiles during the reservation
phone call, and conveyed particulars to docents who were able to plan and
tailor the tour (e.g., for French engineers, or an AIA group from Chicago,
or docents from another FLW house).  We're not sure how to capture this
information if we adopt a written reservation system.

We're not keen on burdening our scheduler with additional paperwork, but
are reluctant to turn over the process to the campus box office, which is
not likely to be sensitive to the special circumstances which accompany
many requests.

Can anyone share experience and advice about this sort of off-site and
long-distance (often international) scheduling?  Please respond directly to
my email (below).  Thank you!

Patience Young
Curator for Education
Stanford University Museum of Art