Date:
Mon, 28 Jul 1997 12:53:13 -0500
On Mon, 28 Jul 1997, DNeil wrote:

:| I think you are speaking from a subjective point of view of a museum
:| person in the 1990's.  Are kids may not care as much about 3D objects,
:| etc.  They are growing up in an era far different from any before.  I'm
:| not saying museums will be virtual...just that they may not be as vital to
:| future generations...unless of course museum professionals get on the
:| stick and start worrying more about connecting with audience and not about
:| how credible and expert they are...

I find it interesting that a "communication consultant" who is
worried about "connecting with audience" has such an argumentative
style and downplays the value of credibility.  But to each his own.

Speaking from my 17 years experience in sales, marketing and
customer service, I would say that any successful venture must find
and fit its particular niche.  You do that by figuring out what it
is that you do best and enjoy most.  If you don't like what you're
doing you won't do it well; and if you aren't doing it well, no one
will want to give you money to see you do it.

When I want to see a movie, I go to a theater, not a bookstore.
Likewise, when I want to learn about art, science, history or any
number of other disciplines, I do not go to a theme park.  I will
spend my money at both at different times, and each institution may
learn valuable ideas from observing the other.  But a museum isn't a
theme park, nor vice versa.

For any venture to be successful (in terms of customer or attendee
satisfaction), it has to discover its individual mission and then be
ruthless about sticking to that mission.  That is where credibility
and "being an expert" are most important.  The management and staff
of Walt Disney World are experts at providing entertaining leisure,
just as the management and staff of the Art Institute of Chicago are
experts at providing informative and educational experiences for
their attendees.  Both are "experts" within their fields _because_
they focus on their respective field, and by doing so, gain their
customer's credibility and confidence.

One final note: in a world that continues to move faster and faster,
why would anyone want to waste their precious time on listening to
someone who _wasn't_ a credible expert?

Rich Johnson
Director of Marketing
Cotton Expressions, Ltd.
Quality Imprinted Apparel for Science and Nature Stores
http://www.cottonexpress.com