From:
Gary Powers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Aug 2006 18:16:23 -0400
Dear Friends and Supporters of The Cold War Museum,

The August 1 issue of the Cold War Times is now posted for viewing online at
www.coldwartimes.com.

If this email was sent to you in error, reply with REMOVE in the subject
line, and you will be removed from our email database. Please note that the
Cold War Times is distributed four times per year on February 1, May 1,
August 1, and November 1 to a dedicated email list. Recently, The Cold War
Times was spoofed by a professional spammer that used [log in to unmask]
and similar variations for the return address. We are not involved in any
email marketing campaigns and do not sell our mailing lists. Please note
that I can not remove you from a list-serve that may choose to forward this
email on to its members because of relative content.

Because of an uncontrollable amount of SPAM email that I receive, I am
forced to use www.spamarrest.com to filter my incoming email. When you send
me an email for the first time, my system will send a reply to your email
address asking a question. Once the answer is received back at my system all
of your emails will be allowed through to my inbox. If you would like to be
removed, this step must be followed so that I can receive your email and
know to delete you from the system. I apologize for any inconvenience this
may cause.

July 2006 marked the Museum's tenth anniversary. During the past ten years
we have amassed a collection of over $2.5 million dollars in international
Cold War artifacts including items from USS Liberty, USS Pueblo, USMLM,
Stasi, KGB, CIA, Nike and Pershing Missile Veterans, Iceland Radomes
veterans, Radio Operator veterans, and many former Eastern Bloc countries.
Some of our more unique items include a Stasi Prison Door and cot, US
Mailbox used by Aldrich Ames to contact his handlers, and a SA-2 missile.
Recently, we photographed a small portion of the items that are in our
storage facility. These photographs can be found online at
www.coldwar.org/pictures/index.html. Artifact donations to The Cold War
Museum will help keep your family's Cold War history alive for future
generations to reflect upon. If you would like to learn more about donations
or bequests of Cold War artifacts, please email [log in to unmask]

We have the largest collection of Civil Defense items in the United States
and plan to "rebuild" the former DC Civil Defense HQ within the Museum. To
view pictures of the former DC Civil Defense HQ visit
www.coldwar.org/museum/physical_location2.html. This past weekend, our
Collection Management expert, Beth Eubanks and several George Washington
University Museum Studies students, alumni, and volunteers helped to tag and
pack up the Civil Defense Bunker in preparation for a move to safe and
secure storage facility. I would like to personally thank Fairfax County and
the Park Authority for their support and assistance to store these items
over the past few years and to also assist with the packing logistics.

We have support from the Embassies of Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Bulgaria,
Poland, Hungary, Slovakia, and have established a Midwest chapter in
Milwaukee/Chicago and a Berlin Chapter in Germany. We are working with the
Embassies of Poland and Hungary currently to produce an October 14
conference on the 50th anniversary of the Polish and Hungarian uprisings of
56. We have implemented a Spy Tour of Washington, and conduct other
educational programs. Our mobile exhibit on the U-2 Incident has been
displayed coast to coast in the US and also internationally at the Allied
Museum in Berlin.

We are a functional Museum in spirit despite not having a physical location,
but that is about to change. Fairfax County Park Authority is reviewing our
proposal to locate at the former Nike Missile base in Lorton, VA 20 miles
from Washington, DC and we expect to sign a lease for use of that site by
the end of this year. A state grant from Virginia the past two years in the
amount of $100,000 each year has helped us to moved forward but it is
estimated that we will need to raise over 3 million over the next two years
for the interim phase of our project. To that end, we have just hired St
Claire Partners to conduct our Capital Campaign and are looking into a test
Direct Mail Campaign. I am pleased to announce that the Museum has received
a $200,000 pledge of support from a local Fairfax company for 2007.

The 50th Anniversary of the Polish and Hungarian Uprisings is just around
the corner. The Cold War Museum will convene a distinguished gathering of
diplomats, officials and historians on Saturday, October 14 in Fairfax
County to discuss the 1956 Polish and Hungarian uprisings against the
Soviets and Communism. Among those participating will be Sergei Khrushchev,
son of the late Soviet premier; David Eisenhower, grandson of President
Eisenhower; Mr. Laszlo Rajk, the son of an executed Communist leader of
Hungary; a representative from Poland; Dr. Charles Gati, historian from
Johns Hopkins University; and Christian Ostermann, historian from the Cold
War International History project. Northern Virginia politicians such as
Congressman Tom Davis, Supervisor Gerald Connolly, and Supervisor Sean
Connaughton are expected to attend.

The daylong program will be at the South County Secondary School, 8501
Silverbrook Road, in Lorton, Virginia. South County students are assisting
with conference logistics and 250 are scheduled to attend the event.
Registration will begin at 8:30 a.m., with the program starting at 9:30 a.m.
The fee is $25 per person, which includes a continental breakfast and lunch.
Morning sessions will feature Hungarian and Polish panelists and will be
moderated by Christian Ostermann of the Cold War International History
Program at the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars in
Washington. An afternoon panel discussion will focus on reflections of the
1956 events by Sergei Khrushchev, David Eisenhower, and will be moderated by
Dr. Charles Gati from Johns Hopkins University. Breakout sessions in the
morning and afternoon will include the collection by students of oral
histories from area Nike Missile and other Cold War veterans.

During one of the breakout sessions a photo shoot for the Cold War Museum is
planned with the dignitaries participating. Plans call for the Museum's
permanent headquarters to be located on the grounds of the former U.S.
Army's National Nike Missile Site also in Lorton. Following the conference,
the Polish and Hungarian Embassies in Washington, DC will co-host an evening
reception for invited guests. The Hungarian and Polish embassies, Fairfax
County Economic Development Authority, the Hungarian Technology Council, as
well as the Museum and the South County Secondary School, are hosts for the
program. Sponsors include the Marriott Corporation; EnviroSolutions, Inc.,
and K. HovnanianR Homes. For more information on the conference, sponsorship
opportunities, or to volunteer, please email [log in to unmask]

Please note that in the email introduction of the May 1 issue I referenced
"The Nike Missile Veterans Association," which is incorrect. I should have
said Nike Historical Society. We have asked the Nike Historical Society, a
non-profit organization founded to preserve the critical role the Nike
missile system played in the air defense of our nation during the Cold War,
to join us in the Cold War Museum's project to build the Museum at the
Lorton VA Nike site. The Society has designated a representative to work
with us, and at our May Board meeting we elected Gordon Lunn to our Advisory
Board. Gordon is a former Nike battery officer and battalion staff officer,
and was later assigned to HQs Army Air Defense Command as a senior Nike
evaluator. The Society's association with us is especially important due to
the fact that the Museum will be constructed atop one of the Lorton site's
underground Nike launch magazines, which we plan to restore to its original
configuration.  The Society's aid in identifying the required missile system
materiel and providing technical expertise in the restoration of the Nike
missiles and launch magazine will be invaluable.

I am pleased to announce that Brickworkz is creating a Lego logo mosaic of
the Cold War Museum thanks to the support of one of our Museum friends.
Brickworkz was created in 2004 to design LEGO mosaics for companies and
individuals. Your Mosaic can be based on your favorite photo or portrait,
your organization's brand or logo, or anything else you can think up!
Contact Brian at (804) 502-3983 ([log in to unmask]) or learn more at
www.brickworkz.com.

If you can volunteer, write a written history, record an oral history, take
a Spy Tour, arrange a lecture, send an artifact, or make a financial
donation, now is the time that we need your support the most. If you know of
friends or family that would like to assist, please let them know that the
Museum needs their support too.

We need to raise an initial $3 million over the next two years to keep on
track with opening our interim museum. Now is the time that we need your
help the most. Donations to The Cold War Museum can be made through a secure
online website at
www.guidestar.org/partners/networkforgood/donate.jsp?ein=54-1819817 or
www.justgive.org/giving/donate.jsp?charityId=18894. In addition, you can
help support the Cold War Museum by doing online searches through
www.goodsearch.com/Default.aspx. For every search done in this medium, the
Cold War Museum will receive a small donation.

Please consider making a donation to the Cold War Museum. Your gift will
help us plan for the new physical location. Tax-deductible contributions and
artifact donations to the Museum will ensure that future generations will
remember Cold War events and personalities that forever altered our
understanding of national security, international relations, and personal
sacrifice for one's country. Please help spread the word about the Museum.
Together we can make this vision a reality. If you should have any
questions, want additional information, or would like to subscribe to our
Cold War Times email newsletter distribution list, send an email to

Thank you for your continued support.

Francis Gary Powers, Jr.
Founder
The Cold War Museum