From:
Eric Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jan 2005 09:35:47 -0500
"That differences of opinion should arise among men on politics, on religion
and on every other topic of human inquiry, and that these should be freely
expressed in a country where all our faculties are free, is to be expected.
But these valuable privileges are much perverted when permitted to disturb
the harmony of social intercourse, and to lessen the tolerance of
opinion." --Thomas Jefferson: Reply to Citizens of Washington, 1809.

"I am myself an empiric in natural philosophy, suffering my faith to go no
further than my facts. I am pleased, however, to see the efforts of
hypothetical speculation, because by the collisions of different hypotheses,
truth may be elicited and science advanced in the end." --Thomas Jefferson
to George P. Hopkins, 1822.

"In every country where man is free to think and to speak, differences of
opinion will arise from difference of perception, and the imperfection of
reason; but these differences when permitted, as in this happy country, to
purify themselves by free discussion, are but as passing clouds
overspreading our land transiently and leaving our horizon more bright and
serene." --Thomas Jefferson to Benjamin Waring, 1801.

--Eric

Eric D. M. Johnson
Proprietor
The Village Factsmith Historical Research & Consulting
http://www.factsmith.com/