From:
Matthew White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Aug 1998 15:37:03 -0400
The problem I have always had with discussions of this nature is that no
museum I have ever worked in has had the celebration of holidays (religious
or secular) as part of their mission.  Although it is a nice to take part in
holidays and helps foster a festive atmosphere, why force the issue with
symbols that serve to alienate a portion of your community.  And here I am
not talking necessarily of those people who are vocal and "intolerant" as
the previous poster puts it, but those who just plain feel unwlecome in our
institutions and quietly do not take part in our programs or see our
exhibits. And the vast majority of people fall in to the latter category.

Certainly there are times when religious celebrations are integral to our
subject matter and previous posters have already weighed in on good ways of
making sure the topic is dealt with fairly and relatively inclusive.

I work in this field to teach history.  When religion or cultural
celebration is part of that history, fine.   But why sacrifice reaching and
teaching an entire population in your community just to put up decorations
that are mostly tangential to most of our missions when not included as part
of a pertinent exhibit or educational program.

Yes a private museum has a RIGHT to display Christmas trees. But then the
growing number of non-Christian people in our community have a RIGHT not to
patronize our institutions.  Considering what great things go on at most of
our sites, that's a darn shame.

And in regard to those of you who are debating whether a Christmas Tree does
or does not have religious meeting, it seems to me you are missing the
point.  The question is how welcome do people feel in your instituion
(visitors, staff, and volunteers).  Whether or not a specific symbol has
direct religious signifigance will not matter to a person who walks into
your site and sees nothing but another's religion or culture represented in
the decor especially when such decorations tend to be omnipresent and
overwhelming.

When people see Christmas trees, they think Christmas & they think
Christians.  Period.  Whether that is appropriate to your site and it what
context is up to you.

Matthew White
Director of Education
B&O Railroad Museum