From:
"Dr. Christian Müller-Straten" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Mar 2006 07:41:00 GMT
Dear Dottie, dear others,

once again, of course a fantastic topic. But the question was not to
involve the public somehow for marketing reasons or the let them
participate somehow in the selection of objects, additive descriptions,
oral history. The original proposal was to forget all curators'
information and leave all object information totally to the different
views of the public. So, where, beside misunderstandings of my mail, are
the defenders of this "great idea"? Has somebody ever made positive
experiences with different political extremist interpretations on
objects? Let us start with native people and end with the holocaust
exhibitions?
Sorry, I may come back to my first remarks, if this idea is not a joke
it is a No-No.

Christian

"Dottie Miles" <[log in to unmask]> schrieb:
This is a fantastic topic.  Unfortunately I have not read the article,
but I
would like to contribute a few observations of my own.

Perhaps we should approach this topic thinking of community members
filling
a participatory role, rather than curatorial?

It is important to note that museums are thought by many to be places
for
the elite.  The tone of some museum environments lack warmth, deliver an

authoritative voice that is not accessible or intriguing to many
audiences—even those who patronize museums.  “…Critics [have]
interpreted
museums not as educational institutions but as instruments for
disseminating
the ideology of the dominant culture” (Museum News, 1996). It is
difficult
for museums to reach members of the community who feel threatened by the

ideas and issues discussed in the museum forum. I believe, this stigma
will
continue if museums do not look outward to the community for council and

participation.

One way to make people feel as if they are participating is to give them
an
opportunity to tell their own story or allow for the community to
actively
participate in the design and creation of the exhibit.

For my current thesis, I am working to design a program to engage the
teen
audience in the development of an exhibition.  I have studied Teen
Chicago,
an exhibit developed by the Chicago Historical Society--there is an
example
where teens interviewed Chicagoans to develop exhibit content.  CHS,
Tamara
Biggs stated in an article about guerrilla exhibits recently, “You go
from a
museum where people don’t really have a voice and become a museum
intently
interested in what the visitor has to say—and, indeed, lets them say it”

(Exhibitionist, 2005)

If museums are for the public, should an opportunity be extended to
community members or visitors to inform or influence exhibition content?
As
museum professionals, we are facilitators providing a forum for
discussion.
Why not include the visitor or other community members in this work?

Just some thoughts.  Feel free to contact me off list if you would like
discuss my thesis or further discuss this issue.

Dottie Miles
www.dottiemiles.com