Date:
Sat, 14 Mar 1998 13:02:54 -0800
I wish  to address  a concern at the relative frequent posting to the
entire museum-l list of replies directed to an individual.
I do not wish to initiate a lengthy thread and I know this topic has arisen
before, but I thought it might be useful raise again
since the list seems to have a rather high number of new users.

I would like to point out that unlike the "normal" situation of  receiving
an e-mail message directly  from
another person,  replies to  messages posted on a list such as musem-l, are
sent to everyone on the list.

At least in Eudora on the MacOS platform the following guidelines work:

To reply  ONLY to the individual responsible for the original post Do Not
immediately Hit the "REPLY"  Button.
In reality, this button  means "reply to sender".   The museum discussion
list becomes the "Sender" (equivalent to the US Post Office) of messages
received via Museum-L.
Instead, copy the individual's address following the "FROM" line in the
original post,  then hit the "Reply " button,
delete "Museum discussion list <[log in to unmask]>" from the
"To" line and paste the copied address.

Though I am not familiar with the code, etc. that make these programs
operate it seems reasonable that perhaps  the writers of mail programs
such as Eudora could add the alternate menu choice of "reply to from"  for
list users.

Just a suggestion to remove some of the hassle in using e-mail.

Jeff Northam
Pouncing Pachyderm Productions
Exhibition Design & Fabrication
3875 Whitehouse Creek Road