From:
"N'Gadi, Ann" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jun 2008 13:20:25 -0400
This just out from the Smithsonian...

Today, the Smithsonian is providing 800 images from seven museums,
research centers, and archives to the Flickr Commons-a photo-sharing Web
site. Flickr is one of the world's largest online communities where
people share their photographs with friends, family and the world.

Information about each photograph is also posted on the Web site. These
photos are a small, but broad ranging sample of the 13 million images in
700 collections at the Smithsonian-only a fraction of which have been
digitized. During the next several months, the Smithsonian will provide
more than 1,200 additional digital photographic images to Flickr. Our
participation follows the successful experience of the Library of
Congress posting two of its photographic collections on Flickr. We
expect many new audiences to see and learn about our collections on the
Flickr Web site, and to visit our Smithsonian sites as result. We also
hope to learn how web site visitors interact with our collections
through tagging, commentary and other means.

I hope you will enjoy viewing the Smithsonian images on the Flickr Web
site: http://www.flickr.com/commons .