From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jul 2007 13:44:34 -0700
Marc,

This is actually a project that I was intimately invovled in at
Colonial Williamsburg when I was there so let me offer a few
corrections.

Dr. Tom Taylor, the Architectural Conservator, was niot invovled in
choosing, developing, or installing the digital electric candle
systems into various chandeliers at Colonial Williamsburg in the mid
to late 1990's. Tom organized the APT conference on "Lighting in
Hisotric Houses" that was held at Colonial Williamsburg in 1999 and
they published an entire issue of the APT Journal from papers from
that session.

The digital lighting systems there were developed by objects
conservator Stephen Ray and Julie Reilly as well as myself and it was
installed in glass and brass chandeliers in the Governor's Palace and
the Capitol to replace the use of actual candles which had gone on for
decades.

The same lighting system was also used by conservator Kathy Gillis at
The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts in Richmond, Virginia and Kathy and I
published our paper about this in the APT Journal. I also used the
same digital system when I was later the head of objects conservation
at the Rocky Mountain Conservation Center at the University of Denver
in an 18th century candelabra form Venice.

The citation is below:

1999	"Lighting The Way: A Conservator's Approach to the
Electrification of Antique and Reproduction Brass  Chandeliers".
Association for Preservation Technology Journal.  1999.

The query is about tapers and specifically not candle sticks. I
believe that the digital system that we used can be modified for just
about any use as long as the digital chip and wires can be concealed.
There were also many other types of faux candles and lighting
approaches that were presented at the conference that could be
applicable.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey