From:
Stephen Brand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Aug 1998 16:10:02 EDT
The discussions about diversity and feeling the temperature starting to get
cooler in the north makes me suggest a conversation that I believe is very
important, but sensitive, in our industry.

I have had lots of trouble with this issue.  Since I don't celebrate
Christmas, I have always felt a struggle with how we can make our holiday
environments more welcoming for everyone.  I believe this is a big challenge
for both mission and market driven reasons.

I remember working at a museum where all different religious groups decorated
Christmas Trees in the lobby.  The person in charge wanted to know why a
Jewish group didn't want to decorate a tree.  "A Japanese group decorated a
tree and they don't celebrate Christmas".  Since this made me uncomfortable,
they put up a Hanukah Menorah which still made me personally uncomfortable
because I don't feel a religious object belongs in a quasi public institution,
unless  it is part of  an exhibit presenting the traditions of that particular
religion.  It certainly doesn't belong in a science museum.

In my next job, I asked my staff to try to be sensitive to this issue (from a
guest services perspective) and create a more wintery themed celebration, I
got a cold shoulder from the staff and even the Mayor of the city for many
months into the new year.  However, I was told by a number of non-Christian
visitors that it was one of the only public spaces that made them feel
comfortable during that time of year.  Festive but non-suggestive of a
particular religious celebration.

I continue to struggle with this issue and would like to turn from frustrated
and defensive to insightful and welcoming.  I come to this diverse group and
ask for your thoughts, experiences, and compelling ideas as we try to make our
learning and cultural environments comfortable for all.

I urge this thread of dialog to continue in a respectful, sensitive and
rational manner.  It can lead to  very hostile comments -- I know, I have
lived with it for a while.  Think twice before pressing send if your message
might hurt others.  Place yourself in the shoes of others when thinking about
this issue.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

Stephen Brand
The New Enterprise Factory