From:
Judith Turner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Nov 2007 22:18:46 -0700
Aimee --

Here's a link to an article in the latest New Yorker
that has been provoking comment on various archives
and library listservs.  It's applicable to the future
of museums, too, since they are significant content
providers in any digital scenario.

One point made by author Anthony Grafton that struck
me as pertinent is that new technologies have offered
many promises but have not always produced the
dramatic changes their promoters tout.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/11/05/071105fa_fact_grafton

More directly on the subject of museums was the
following article from the Washington Post.  Gayle
posted the link to the article and I followed up with
a comment but if there was additional discussion, I
couldn't find it in the thread in Museum-L's archives.
 Possibly the subject line was changed.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/10/05/AR2007100500150.html?referrer=emailarticle

Is There a Future for Old-Fashioned Museums?
If the Spirit of St. Louis Can Come Alive on Your
Desktop, You Might Not Want to Trek to the Mall

By Joel Garreau
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, October 7, 2007; Page R10

Judy Turner