From:
Arie Avidor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 May 1996 06:51:21 +0300
>I'm sorry to post this question on the list, but I can't seem to find any
>information on the subject.  Can anyone tell me where artichokes come
>from.  Supposedly they are related to daisys, but where do they grow,
>what type of climate, anything.  My library has a very limited number of
>books none of which have any information.
>If anyone could give me any information on these plants, or any ideas of
>where else I can look for them, another list, etc.  it would be greatly
>appreciated.  Thanks much
>

>Heidi Anderson
>
>In Latin, Cynara scolymus. A known plant from the Medditeranien area.Raised in
the times B.C. in Greece and Rome but it's source is not known.A relative
plant Cynara syriaca is one of the wild plants growing in the summer in
Israel. The arichoke was known to be raised in old times in monastries and
in arab villages.
Also it is being cultivated in south of France in the area of Provance, from
where it was brought to be raised in Israel.
(cited from the  - Plant and Animals fo The Land of Israel 1988 v.12 p 63 )
Arie Avidor .Israel