From:
Ron Goldfeder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 1999 11:58:23 EST
I work a the St. Louis Science Center and Museum of Transportation in St.
Louis, as well as working on a MA in museum studies at the University of
Missouri at St. Louis.  I am working on a research paper that hopes to compare
and contrast the differences between various museums' level of documentation
when restoring or using machinery such as steam locomotives, aircraft,
stationary engines, large vehicles, water craft, etc.  I am looking for copies
of paperwork kept when such an item was restored in the recent past, hoping it
would include the initial inspection report, a proposal as to what should be
done, and the final report of what was done.  I have such things coming from
some who do this type of work on locomotives on a contract basis, as well as
the Nevada State RR Museum, and some others.  I would also be interested in
references to guidelines on how such work should be done, comments on how
others have seen it done, and general comments on care of industrial type
exhibits.  If you feel the subject is not of general interest you can e-mail
me off-line at [log in to unmask]

Ron Goldfeder