From:
Gary Powers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 2005 21:16:30 -0500
Dear Friends and Supporters of the Cold War Museum,

Our February 1 issue of The Cold War Times is now available at
http://www.coldwar.org/education/coldwar_magazine.html. If this email was
sent to you in error, please write REMOVE in the subject line and we will
remove your name from our database. If you know of anyone who would like to
be added to our email list, send an email to [log in to unmask]

Over the past eight years the Cold War Museum has made great strides in
honoring Cold War Veterans and preserving Cold War history. On behalf of The
Cold War Museum's Board of Directors, I would like to thank you for your
continued support of our efforts to locate The Cold War Museum at the former
Nike missile base in Lorton, Virginia. This year, with your help we can
contract with a museum design firm, finalize Phase II of the Fairfax County
Proposal for possession of the Nike site, and prepare to open the Museum's
first phase in 2006.

Last week, our Phase I proposal for use of the Nike site was delivered to
Fairfax County. Congressman Tom Davis is working with us to secure Federal
appropriations and Delegate Vince Callahan is working with us to secure
State appropriations for the Museum this year. If you live in Virginia
please write your state Delegate and have them support the legislation for a
nonstate agency appropriation for the Cold War Museum. Visit
http://dela.state.va.us/dela/MemBios.nsf/MWebsiteEL?OpenView for a list of
Virginia Delegates email addresses.

Past support from the Virginia House of Delegates resulted in a $28,000
State grant, which led to a $20,000 donation from the Springfield/Lorton
VFW, a $10,000 donation of Zurab Tsereteli art works from a private
collector, and several thousand dollars more in small and medium size
financial contributions. The Phase I proposal asks Fairfax County for a
$100,000 appropriation in 2005 and similar appropriations through 2011 when
the museum would be fully operational.

Below is a list of the Museum's recent accomplishments. Our mobile exhibit
on the U-2 Incident will be on display at the Fairfax Museum and Visitor's
Center in Old Town Fairfax, Virginia through April 18, 2005. Our Spring golf
tournament will take place on May 16 at Piedmont County Club in Haymarket,
Virginia. If you would like to participate in the golf outing, please visit
http://www.coldwar.org/museum/charity_golf.html for additional information.
Our educational Spy Tours will start to operate again in March 2005. Visit
www.spytour.com for dates and more information. I am pleased to report that
former Secretary for the USAF, Tom Reed, and Delegate Dave Albo serve on our
Advisory Board and Laurel Hills High School Principal, Dale Rumburger,
serves on the Museum Board.

The Cold War Museum is a 501(c)(3) charity dedicated to preserving Cold War
history and honoring Cold War Veterans. The Museum is part of the Combined
Federal Campaign (CFC #7475) and in January 2001 the Cold War Museum became
a Smithsonian Institution Affiliate. On March 8, 2001, the Museum was called
to testify before a Congressional House subcommittee on the need to preserve
Cold War resources across the country. Our feasibility study, conducted by
George Mason University Professor Stephen Fuller in 2004, indicates that the
museum will generate over 350,000 visitors per year when fully operational.

Please consider making a donation to the Cold War Museum's general fund. Now
is the time that we need your financial support. Your gift will help us plan
for the new year and the new physical location. Tax-deductible contributions
and artifact donations to the Museum will ensure that future generations
will remember Cold War events and personalities that forever altered our
understanding of national security, international relations, and personal
sacrifice for one's country. Please help spread the word about the Museum.
Together we can make this vision a reality. If you should have any
questions, want additional information, or would like to be added to our
Cold War Times email newsletter distribution list, please contact:

Francis Gary Powers, Jr.
Founder
The Cold War Museum
P.O. Box 178
Fairfax, VA 22030
P-(703) 273-2381
F-(703) 273-4903

PS My father's book, "Operation Overflight,' which has just been republished
after 30 years out of print is now available for $24.95 + $5.00 shipping and
handling in the US. Send an email to [log in to unmask] and I will be
glad to mail off an inscribed copy for your library or for a person on your
gift list.

Cold War Museum
Partial List of Recent Accomplishments

Signed Partnership Agreement with Fairfax County Public Schools. (Pending
February 2005).
Submitted Phase I Lorton Nike Site Use Proposal to Fairfax County Park
Authority.
Displayed U-2 Incident Mobile Exhibit at Fairfax Museum and Visitors Center
through April 2005.
Commissioned GMU Professor Stephen Fuller to produce Museum site
feasibility study that indicates substantial tourist visitation.
Commissioned George Washington University Museum Studies students to
prepare Collection Management Policy.
Co-sponsored International Conference on the Cold War with the Cold War
International History Project and the Truman Library.
Co-sponsored Cold War conference with Brown University, USS Saratoga
Foundation, and the Russian Sub Museum about Soviet and US Naval Operations
during the Cold war.
Cosponsored Cold War conference with Virginia Military Institute and The
George C. Marshall Foundation on Vietnam and the Cold War.
Secured $28,000 VA non-state agency grant.
Received $20,000 donation from the Springfield / Lorton VFW
Received $10,000 donation of Zurab Tsereteli art works from private
collector
Received Commonwealth of Virginia Resolution of Support for locating the
Cold War Museum at the Lorton Nike Missile base
Contracted with The Alford Group to provide Strategic plan
Opened Midwest Chapter office in Chicago and staffed with volunteers
West German Cold War Radio Intercept exhibit unveiled at the Historical
Electronics Museum, Maryland.
Loaned Cold War Museum artifacts to the espionage "Duell im Dunkel" exhibit
in Leipzig, Germany.
Loaned Cold War Museum artifacts to the International Spy Museum in
Washington, DC.
Received extensive donation from Washington, DC's Civil Defense HQ in
Lorton, Virginia courtesy of the Washington, DC Emergency Management Agency.
Hosted Book Signing Lecture at National Archives cosponsored by Association
of Former Intelligence Officers, Cold War Veterans Association, and the DC
DDR Cold War Re-enactors Group.
Displayed U-2 Incident Mobile Exhibit at Atomic Testing Museum in Las
Vegas, Nevada.
Conducted Spy Tour of Washington for World Congress, Forbes Magazine,
National Geographic Society, and Vanguard Financial Services.
Co-hosted reception with Embassies of Bulgaria, the Czech Republic,
Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Romania and Slovakia at the Romanian
Embassy to remember, commemorate, and interpret the Cold War and promote our
efforts internationally
Secured twenty-four quality museum display cases from the Museum valued at
$75,000.
Provided resources and information for tens of thousands of students in
Virginia and abroad via our website www.coldwar.org.