From:
Laura Vookles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 2006 11:55:45 -0400
Maybe it is a very old and out-of-date concept, but I was also taught about contacting original donors about deaccessions, at least to inform them, and perhaps also to give back.  It was on our collections policy when I started here 20 years ago, but it has always seemed to me something that would be awkward and problematic, to say the least, and I have never heard of anyone actually doing it with accessioned items.  If this is truly no longer required or considered an ethical nicety or necessity by AAM or the field, it would be good to know that.

Laura L. Vookles
Chief Curator of Collections
The Hudson River Museum
914-963-4550 X220