From:
rich jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jan 1995 07:17:00 PST
To start, can I change this thread to "private/public partnerships?"  Thanks!

Carter House Natural Science Museum and the Redding Museum of Art & History
are both public/private partnerships.  Carter House (17 years in existence)
receives a third of its operating budget from the City of Redding.  These
funds are used primarily to cover the employee costs for members of the
staff who are city employees.  Redding Museum (30 years in existence)
receives approximately two-thirds of its operating budget from the City,
which covers a variety of costs including those members of the staff who are
city employees.

Both museums entered into a privatization funding agreement with the city
whereby funding will be held steady and flat for a period of 5 years.  At
the end of 5 years the city will no longer be responsible for supporting
either institution.  This was an alternative privatization plan to the one
originally devised which was affectionately called "10-10-10 and you're out"
(10% budget cuts for three years then nada).

In both instances the collections "belong" to the membership of each museum
per the bylaws of the respective institutions.  The collections are in fact
treasures entrusted to the care of the each museum's board of trustees by
the museums' membership.  At no time has the city ever claimed any ownership
of the collections and both museums started out as 99% city-funded institutions.

The privatization of both museums is working out so far.  Both museums have
5 years to supplant city support with other sources of funding.  Carter
House is well on the way in that regard.  Redding Museum, like many art and
history museums, has a little bit tougher task.  There, strategic alliances
with such groups as the historical society and the local arts council will
be very important.  Also, both institutions are part of the Alliance of
Redding Museums.
The Alliance is involved with the development of a new facility called
Turtle Bay Park & Museum which may be a successor organization for one or
more of the Alliance members.  Turtle Bay is expected to create a gestalt
effect for all cultural institutions in the Redding area.  This includes
increases in revenue from such things as combined memberships, collaborative
projects and programs and significant increases in visitorship.

With regard to our privatization activities, the museum boards working at
the city council level has been very important.  Working at the city staff
level (i.e. finance dept., city manager's office, etc.) is very difficult
because of all of the competing objectives and political cross currents.
Also, if there are any demons in the process they are manifested at the
board and council level.  This prevents the contamination of working
relationships between city departments and the museums.