From:
James Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Mar 1998 16:24:16 -0500
I am posting this message for Rhonda Wozniak at the Carnegie Museum of
Art.

-begin

At the Carnegie Museum of Art, we are treating a 1935 Art Deco mural by
French artists, Jean Dupas and Jean Dunand.  It was one of many murals
designed for the French luxury liner, the Normandie.

This mural, depicting the Chariot of Aurora, is comprised of 32 low relief
panels.  Each panel is carved from baked plaster and embellished with
gilded urushi.

The surfaces have been heavily restored.  We have not been able to locate
any records of these previous restorations, and the history of the mural
itself is very sketchy.

With analytical assistance from James Martin at Williamstown, we were able
to identify the layers and understand much of the stratigraphy.  However,
some questions remain.

For instance, we are trying to determine if the silver leaf has been
selectively tarnished to create a shading effect.  Tarnishing appears to be
both accidental and intentional throughout the 32 panels.

[Elemental surface analysis showed the black surface material to be
composed of Ag and Cl.  No Na, K, or S was detected.]

Also, this artist’s gilding techniques are quite unusual.  There are areas
where an entire leaf line is visible but the lacquer is not solidly
covered.  The effect is somewhat stippled.  We have been able to replicate
this to some extent by spraying the size, laying the solid leaf, and
skewing away the excess. Perhaps his technique incorporated the use of a
resist.

If anyone has any information or experience treating similar panels please
contact Rhonda Wozniak at [log in to unmask]

- end

Please copy me any technical information about the artists' techniques.
Our investigation is on-going.

Thank you.

Jamie

James Martin
Director of Analytical Services and Research
Williamstown Art Conservation Center
225 South Street
Williamstown, MA  01267
tel: 413-458-5741