From:
Anne El-Omami <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Apr 2003 19:59:04 -0700
on 4/15/03 12:40 PM, Jerry Fahey at [log in to unmask] wrote:

> Indigo wrote:
> I understand from other discussions that some of the
> loot (as yet undetailed to me) is being brought back
> to various places from which it was taken.  The word
> is that a Muslim cleric(s) indicated a woman could not
> sleep with a husband who had looted.
>
> Man, no nooky for looters!!
> The clerics were a day late and a dollar short on that call.

> Important Subscriber Information:
>
> The Museum-L FAQ file is located at http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/
> . You may obtain detailed information about the listserv commands by sending a
> one line e-mail message to [log in to unmask] . The body of the

> Museum-L" (without the quotes).

As a member of a family that is Muslim and Christian and Middle Eastern, I
have found that much of the discussion on the looting of the Museum has been
extraordinarily misinformed or not informed at all and when you (museum
professionals?) begin to talk about the Religious Law and Personal Life I
find it totally unacceptable and bigoted.

Whoever is monitoring this list better take a closer look at this...who in
the international museum community would want to be involved with museum
professionals who make statements like this?

Helpful, appropriate, professional?  I think not!

Anne El-Omami
Associate Professor
Director, MA Program
Department of Museum Studies