From:
Theresa Devine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Oct 1999 15:36:10 -0600
To our overseas friends:

You are getting a glimpse of the inside of  what it is like to be a
young American with the desire to be a part of Museum system.  I am not
sure when it happened but the doors seemed to have slammed shut for most
of the Curatorial, Education, Director (etc) hopeful applicants.  What
you are witnessing is a few die hards trying to shove the door back open
again.

This has also happened in the academic community. My own experience has
been with the Fine Art departments of the US.  People with terminal
degrees are falling all over themselves to land these few coveted
positions.  In order to follow this road - a person must be willing to
beg for a job each year, (and these are not inexpensive applications -
at 40 slides per application), endure the humiliation of CAA conference
and then be willing to relocate each year until they are awarded that
precious elusive prize known as "tenure."  At this point this person
must also be willing to live the rest of their life in this college town
for fear of not becoming employed again.  Great life - huh? Makes you
wonder why anyone would want to be a part of it.

You see - all through school - I was sold the bill of goods that I would
be able to follow in my professors footsteps.  I would be able to walk
into a tenure track position like they did upon completion of my
terminal degree.  But my professors - as good hearted and well
intentioned as they were - had become unaware of the changes on the
outside world.  The job market had become saturated and there were so
few positions available. And so - many of my contemporaries are becoming
angry, jaded and bitter.  There is a feeling of being all dressed up
with no where to go.  Why isn't there a place for us in the system?  And
(I know this is speculation) perhaps for those who are in the positions
there is a feeling of uneasiness - wondering if they will be replaced by
a young kid and then they will have no where to go.  There just aren't
enough jobs to go around.

And so the competition is fierce.

The irony is that these positions are not all that well paid.  All that
work and fighting and these are some of the lowest paying positions
around.

I finally solved the problem for myself by learning ASP and web
development.  No humiliation, no fighting and I save my thoughts for my
studio.  DeKooning was a house painter, Warhol a commercial artist and
Theresa Devine was a web developer.  Each one of us trying to make a
living and our art - each one of us a product of our time.

Welcome to the end of the 20th century.

Museum-L" (without the quotes).