From:
Mary Day Kent <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Aug 1998 14:20:08 -0400
It has become clear to me, and this post confirms it, that the
Christmas tree sends a strong "Christian" signal to non-Christians.
However, I share the experience of some of the other writers, that
for many Christians, the tree is the symbol of pagan (Northern European
pre-Christian) celebrations and today it is the symbol of secular
consumerism presently linked to the holidays. In respect for wanting
everyone to be equally welcomed and included at our institution, we
can do without trees, but it does raise an interesting dilemma about
who gets to define the significance of a symbol.  Mary Day Kent
University of Pennsylvania Museum, Philadelphia, Pa. USA