From:
Guy Hermann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Apr 2000 13:19:25 -0400
>I am a student working on a collection that came into our museum over ten
>years ago.  Unfortunately, the artifacts were not processed and it is my
>duty now to learn more.  I was wondering if anyone had heard of a valve
>spring lifter.  I have found that recent lifters are for automobiles. This
>iron tool may have been used to build a wagon (or so the accession records
>say).  It looks like a jack of some kind with handles.  It is about 9" long
>and has a spring between the two handles.  As you squeezed the handles the
>jack could lock in place.  I am sorry this is vague.  My knowledge of tools
>is not extensive.  I don't have a photograph as of yet. I have consulted
>many tool books, web sites, and Sears catalogs.  I will appreciate any
>insight. Though the records call this tool a lifter, it may not even be this
>type of tool.

I am also no expert, but this does sound like a spring compressor,
used to hold a coil spring in compressed mode while it is installed
into whatever place it needs to go.  When the tool is removed, the
spring snaps into place.  This kind of tool could be used with all
kinds of springs.  Automotive valve springs are pretty small--1" by
2" if memory serves--and keep the valves inside an engine closed
until the cam shaft pushes them open to let fuel in or exhaust out.
A tool for bigger springs could be used for wagons, although I don't
know of any wagons with coil springs.

Guy Hermann
Verner Johnson & Associates
Museum Architects & Planners