From:
Margaret M <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Apr 2008 18:37:32 -0500
On 4/21/08, Derrer, Kendra <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
>  We have some crazy quilts dating to c.1893.  The quilts are created mostly
>  with silks and satins.  I know the general practice is to roll quilts if possible,
>  however, the silk fabrics used in these quilts are shattering.  In a case like
>  this is it better to box the quilts or is rolling still acceptable?

That depends on what you mean by "box".

The best way to store a quilt is flat. If that isn't possible -- and
it usually isn't because it takes a lot of space -- then rolling is
the next best choice.

If you have to fold the quilt to box it, then this is not desirable.
Folding puts a lot of stress on the textile at the fold line,
weakening the fibers. (Rolling can also stress the fibers, especially
if it is done improperly. But all things being equal, rolling is
preferable.)

If the silks are disintegrating and these are important quilts, it is
probably worthwhile to talk to a conservator about stabilizing the
remaining fabrics. They can also talk to you about appropriate storage
for these particular textiles.

--
Margaret