From:
David Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Aug 1998 22:47:58 +0100
mda Re-Launch

A New Era

It is no exaggeration to say that 7th August 1998 marked a milestone in
the 21 year history of mda. Those of you with long memories will
remember that, prior to our establishment as the Museum Documentation
Association in 1977, our first incarnation had been as the Information
Retrieval Group of the Museums Association ten years previously. Now as
the re-launched mda we are maintaining the quality tradition associated
with our name whilst emphasizing through our strap line, supporting
cultural information management, the fact that our remit is now wider
than just setting standards for museum documentation

Future challenges

As recently as ten years ago information management for museums often
meant no more than documenting an object to ensure knowledge about what
and where it was. The technology of the time meant that accountability
was achieved through manual systems or, at most, by a simple stand-alone
computer. As we approach the new millennium we are experiencing fast
pace change, not least in terms of the challenges posed by the ever
increasing impact of information and communications technologies. mda
does not intend to be a mere witness to such change but to actively
ensure that museums and heritage bodies are equipped to harness ICT to
realise their information assets; to unlock content to support all
levels of access; and to ensure the accountability of their collections.

Making a difference

Prior to our re-launch reception at Magdalene College at the beginning
of the month mda provided a Projects Briefing for key professionals from
the sector to learn more about our current work and future plans. Visit
mda website to see how we make a real difference to the day-to-day
reality of museums and heritage bodies as they work towards unlocking
their cultural content. Indeed whilst our re-launch was a watershed for
mda, even more importantly it marked a positive step forward for the
whole sector.

Relaunched mda Web Pages
The mda's Web Pages have just been redesigned and updated. Please
note that the URL for the Home page has changed to:

 http://www.mda.org.uk/

New features are:

1. mda Relaunch - A discussion of the new remit for mda;
2. What's in a Name? - How we came to choose our new look;
3. How big is mda - We're bigger than you thought!;
4. National Grid for Learning - News on how this important Government
   initiative affects the sector;
5. European Museums Information Institute? - A proposal to set up a
   European focus for cultural information management;
6. Carnegie UK Trust Grants for IT Innovation - Information on this
   scheme for independent museums;

Also update pages:

1. About mda;
2. Advice Point;
3. SPECTRUM Adviser Network;
4. The Cultural Grid: Content & Connections (mda Conference);
5. UK Museum E-mail Directory;
6. Term-IT Web site
7. UK Virtual Library Museum Page [please check that you are on]

David Dawson                                    email:
mda ICT Outreach Manager                        advicepoint: 01223 315760

Supporting cultural information management      www.mda.org.uk

mda Conference - The Cultural Grid - Content and Connections, Sept 9-11 1998