From:
Paul Apodaca <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Aug 1998 12:32:47 -0700
I am greatly encouraged by Herve Gagnon's experiences. I agree that the
museum is suppposed to offer the possibility for transformance and
transcendence.  If the staff cannot have that experience then how could a
visitor? Re-directing the political spin on history is what each
generation does as well as each culture or historical group. To make the
stance that "all things being equal someone from the cultural group will
get the job" work, will someone please explain how that affects non-Whites
applying to work in areas like European literature, or Greek art, or
teaching English.  Are you truly saying that if I, as an American Indian,
apply for a job working with non-American Indian, European,  objects or
information that, despite my education or experience or talent, "all
things being equal" the job will go to a White?  Are you really saying
this to all of us in the profession? This is the professional stance of
museology at the millenium?

Best,

Paul Apodaca