From:
Mark Janzen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 2004 10:22:51 -0500

Heather,

Please try not to be too disappointed in us. We normally behave.

I think you just learned something important about the museum field, that

perhaps you were not prepared for in your degree program. In addition to

all sorts of cool developments, interesting issues, and confounding

problems, there are a wide variety of people working in the in the field or

just lurking on the listserves with a wide array of opinions, both correct

and incorrect. We all fall into both categories occasionally.

 The issue at hand clearly strikes a number of chords with people, which

were not intended by the original query. Although not the proper forum for

such things as political commentary and recriminations of the personal

sort, people will be people when their buttons are pushed.

We hope you and the many other graduate students out there will continue to

participate and contribute to both the list and your chosen field.

Mark Janzen

Registrar/Collections Manager

Edwin A. Ulrich Museum of Art

Martin H. Bush Outdoor Sculpture Collection

Wichita State University

(316)978-5850

             Heather-Marie

             Wells

             <hmbwells@HOTMAIL                                          To

             .COM>                     [log in to unmask]

             Sent by: Museum                                            cc

             discussion list

             <[log in to unmask]                                     Subject

             SE.LSOFT.COM>             Dissapointment in list

             04/05/2004 04:25

             PM

             Please respond to

             Museum discussion

                   list

               SE.LSOFT.COM>

Disappointment museum studies graduate and I joined this list (about 5

months ago) to learn more about what is going on in the museum world and

help me in my job as a collections assistant.

Thus far it has been a wonderful resource for me about all kinds of topics

that there just was never time to cover in classes.  I've enjoyed learning

about all the workshops and conferences that are held all over and hope

that

I will have the time and money to attend some in the future.  The recent

topics on copyright, photo policies, and various exhibit supplies have

given

me a lot of insight into things that might effect the museum that I work

at.

Then the "Iraq donation" topic came along.  It started off so nice and

helpful, I doubted that it would be a problem for my museum, but then I

know

we do have a few of those Nazi items that we constantly wonder what are we

going to do with this, so I have been following it.  I planned to not say

anything about it getting off-topic and was hoping that all the off topic

comments would die out.  But I find I can no longer hold my fingers from

typing.

It was very disappointing to me to open an email today to find one museum

professional calling another a "pompous overblown jackass" and then calling

for professional museum manners.  I'm sorry, but I just don't see how

cursing at someone is suppose to be professional museum manners.

I would like to remind everyone that there are many students and recent

graduates who use this list as a resource.  We look to many of you on this

list as role models and a source of guidance in our career paths.  So

please, think before you type and try to remain on topic with out stooping

to personal blows.

Heather Marie Wells

The Museum-L FAQ file is located at

read "help" (without the quotes).