From:
Marjorie McLellan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Aug 2006 14:34:50 -0400
I don't have direct experience with using My Space, however I learned
from my son's use of it on a performance art project.  A
collaborative here in Dayton put together a one night event titled
"Sideshow".  Over the two months leading up to the event, they fixed
up and lit a large abandoned  storefront space (the concrete floor
was pitted and they found interesting ways to fill the fairly large
pits with scrap wood cut into interesting patterns).  Then artists
put together mini-exhibits and performance spaces around the room.
Throughout the process, they posted photographs and updates in My
Space. As a result, they had a very large crowd that spilled out into
the alley and down the street. Neighboring galleries extended their
hours into the evening to capture some of the foot traffic. One of
the partners shot video to edit and post later on. Some artists and
volunteers got involved through the My Space site and many "friends"
linked to it.  (of course you end up linked to many individual
Websites which you have little say over.) The one day event became a
longer term art event online attracting volunteers and audience
without an advertising budget. In addition, they engaged that elusive
adolescent/young adult audience.

Marjorie McLellan
Wright State University