From:
Chris Dill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jun 1996 00:23:58 GMT
Claudia:

I think we all suffer from these failures.  Certainly a brochure clearly
explaining that not all (or even many) artifacts donated to a large
history museum's collection are exhibited permanently, or even often,
would help.  Asking prospective donors to sign off that they've read
the brochure might not hurt.  I doubt it will make the problem go away,
because people will continue to think that their stuff is neater than
anything else you've got and ought to be exhibited instead of that stuff
you think is more important.

If you have any inkling (is that how you spell that?) that the donor has
such expectations, you should be especially clear with them that their
piece may not be exhibited.

We sometimes relieve some of the pressure by doing a news release about a
new donation, giving much credit to the donor.  We also regularly and
frequently mount a "Recent Acquisitions" exhibit in the entrance to our
main gallery, offering a showcase for "new" stuff.  If we actually plan to
include a new acquisition in that exhibit, or have acquired it for a
specific upcoming exhibit, we write the donor a letter inviting them to
come see the exhibit, attend the opening, etc., when the exhibit is
scheduled.  It all helps, but the problem will not go away so long as you
have more than you can, or should, exhibit at one time.

Chris Dill
Director, Museum Division
State Historical Society of North Dakota
612 E Blvd.
Bismarck  ND  58505-0830