From:
John Martinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 May 1996 23:12:00 PDT
I agree the importance of volunteers; I simply was dealing with an issue
of ethics, of touching negatives and the importance of preserving
objects for the future to enjoy.

We talked (the volunteer and I) and all is well. Yes, volunteers are an
asset, a very important asset to museums.  We cannot
do without, nor can many other agencies.  Volunteers are the heart of
musuem's work force.  I would never become sour to anyone.

However, wearing gloves, etc., is simply common museum practice.  As
a Director, with a mission to preserve the collection, when practices
are not enforced (with kindness) the situation should be correct.
Training, working with the volunteers, staff, etc. are all important.

I appreciate all comments.