From:
Anne Lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Nov 1996 11:49:04 -0500
Greetings O Knowledgeable Ones:
A man called me about an old phonograph record he found in a trunk, a
"picture record" with illustrations printed right on the vinyl.  It was put
out by "Vogue" and is labeled "Save-Way Industrials, Detroit, Michigan,
patent pending R 750," no date.  The singing group, three men pictured on
both sides of the record, is called "The King's Jesters."  On one side, the
song "Who Got a Tent for Rent" is illustrated with a man sitting by a tent
in a city park; the tent displays a "No Vacancy" sign.  On the other side,
"Shoo-fly Pie and Apple Pan Dowdy" is illustrated with an African-American
woman by a cookstove; in the oven is a man eating a pie.  The record is
about eight inches in diameter, and is "licensed for non-commercial use on
home phonographs only."  I got all this info over the phone, have not seen
the record myself, forgot to ask if the illustrations are in color.  He
mentioned that it was very heavy vinyl.  Any help you can give us in
evaluating and dating this would be much appreciated - TIA, Anne
Anne Lane
Curatorial Assistant
Museum of York County
4621 Mt. Gallant Road
Rock Hill, SC  29732-9905
803-329-2121 ext 122  *  [log in to unmask]