From:
"Robert T. Handy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jan 1999 17:50:10 -0600
For whatever it is worth, our collections index has been searchable on the
Internet for several years.  We are now heading up, under a $50,000 grant
from Houston Endowment, Inc., the development of the Texas History Internet
Consortium.  The inititial goal is to get the collections indexes of four
other history museums and a major library in this region to digitize their
collections data and put it on the Internet in such a manner as to allow
searchers access to all indexes simultaneously from any one of their
websites.  When the pilot project is complete, the consortium will be
expanded to include all history museums and archives in Texas.

We feel that this will be a tremendous aid to researchers all over the
country, if not the world, who are seeking information on Texas history.  A
number of academic scholars have commented positively on the project.  It
has been endorsed by the Texas Library and Archives.

It is not our philosophy to hide what we have.  We want the world to know
it is here.

------
Robert Handy
Brazoria County Historical Museum