From:
Dawn Distasio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 2006 15:15:38 -0500
Hello,

I am a graduate student in Museum Studies and doing a final paper on how
museums present culturally sensitive topics--specifically slavery and the
treatment of black people in America in the early 1900's.

If anyone has a moment, could you please give me your
opinions/experiences/insight on the following topics:

1) Should museums present the truth and risk offending people or make the
material 'palatable' for the easy consumption of everyone?
2) Does/Should the type of museum affect how they present the topic? (For
example, a historical society vs. an art museum.)
3) Should a museum present different aspects to different audiences or have
a consistent 'presentation' of material (I don't mean children vs adults,
although i'd be happy to hear of how museums are reaching out to school
children of different races to present this material. What I do mean is different
audiences of race, class, etc.)
4) Where do you see the 'trend' going in presenting culturally sensitive
material? (I hate to use the word 'trend', but I'm interested to see what
direction museums are leaning towards (see question #1).

Any information you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Dawn
Tufts University