From:
Lynne Teather <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jul 1994 10:45:28 -0400
Welcome to you, Robert O. Dahl.

And to the rest of us on Museum-L, a thought.
The author Handy in the "The Age of Unreason" has crystalized a view
that many hold that many working or coming into the workforce will
spend some time in an out of freelance consultancy work. Mr. Dahl's
background is typical of many of us working in and with museums and
will me more so in times to come, whether we like it or not.

Perhaps, we, those working in museums and those working for museums,
need to be more sensitive in our communications with each other.
There is some fine line which apparently can be crossed whether you be
a consultant or a museum worker where self-promotion is irritating. On
the otherhand, if your experience is that of consultancy or
twenty-years full-time work in a museum than that is
your experience and as valid as any other.

Happy museum work!

Prof. Lynne Teather,
Museum Studies Program,
University of Toronto,