From:
Carey Tisdal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 11:44:26 -0500
We used a building/architecture metaphor with an elevator for one of our pieces
of software on the floor.  People exited at art studios and the metaphor was
building a healthy brain by learning about different mental health issues.  I
prototyped the storyboards.  People seemed to understand the elevator metaphor
to move from floor to floor in the building.  I am not sure they ever got the
art studio parallel--but probably at the time I was just learning how to explore
how people understand an organizing metaphor and didn't follow through as fully
as I could have.  But when we did the summative, I don't think they ever got the
"building a better brain" type idea.

Our original website design, and I suspect many others, was a "virtual visit" to
the museum.  I think what we found, and others, was that a direct parallel was a
good place to start, but didn't make full use of the medium.  Actual visits are
good for actual visits, and there are other things a website can do and that is
the place to focus.

Carey

Farar Elliott <[log in to unmask]> on 10/17/2001 10:58:54 AM

Please respond to Museum discussion list <[log in to unmask]>