From:
"Ciotola, Nicholas P." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 08:17:09 -0500
Re: Oral History

One particularly effective oral history lesson is termed the oral history
"fishbowl." In essence, a teacher invites a guest with knowledge of the
subject under discussion (a war veteran, civil rights leader, immigrant,
etc.) to come into his or her class. Then, the teacher interviews the guest
in front of the entire class so that students observe the techniques of
doing an oral history. Once the teacher is done with his or her questions,
students are encouraged to give feedback and or ask questions of their own.
Once the students have seen an interview conducted in this manner, they are
often then assigned to do an interview on their own.

Anyone interested in receiving my bibliography on oral history, contact me
off list at [log in to unmask]

Nicholas P. Ciotola
Curator and
Curator, Italian American Collection
Senator John Heinz Pittsburgh Regional History Center
Historical Society of Western Pennsylvania
1212 Smallman Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
(412) 454-6433