From:
lisa jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Dec 1994 19:24:00 CDT
The William J. Battle Collection at UT Austin is on permanent display at
the Harry Ransom Center and is administrated by the Huntington Art
Gallery. Until the late 70s the casts hung around the classrooms, carrels
and offices of the Classics Department & were much beloved by students.

Dick Brettell, then chairman of the UT Art Department, discoverd their
existence and had them trasferred to the Ransom Center as part of a
handsome exhibit which included daguerreotypes of the originals. (Local
publications occasionally refer to the exhibit as "The Battle Collection
of Plaster Cats.")

Their display before a second floor gallery window enables me to be
mooned by the entire pantheon on my way to work every morning.

Lisa Jones
Dept of Archives and Manuscripts
Harry Ransom Humanities Research Center
UT Austin